Carrier Ethernet & CE 2.0
A ubiquitous, standardized, carrier-class Service and Network defined by five attributes that distinguish it from familiar LAN based Ethernet. Enterprise users more typically refer to to Carrier Ethernet as Ethernet Business Services.
Since 2012 CE 2.0 - a new generation of Carrier Ethernet defined below - is having a significant impact on the market. CE 2.0 greatly expands from 3 services in CE 1.0 to
- 8 services, 2 of each respectively in E-Line, E-LAN, E-Tree, and E-Access (defined in MEF Standards MEF 6.1, 22.1, 33)
- The industry's first standardized Multi-CoS with application-oriented CoS Performance Objectives, new metrics (MEF 6.1, 10.2, 20, 23.1)
- Interconnect through the integrated delivery of MEF Service Attributes (MEF 10.2, 26.1, 33) allows ubiquitous deployment spanning multiple providers
- Manageability, (MEF 7.1, 16, 17, 30, 31) plus additional specifications
For Service Providers: CE 2.0 is set of MEF CE 2.0 Certified network elements that connect to transport Carrier Ethernet services for all users, locally & worldwide. Carrier Ethernet services are carried over physical Ethernet networks and other legacy transport technologies.
Further details are shown on the Carrier Ethernet Services page.
The original carrier Ethernet (now termed CE 1.0) delivers: standardized carrier-class services over one provider’s network
Impact of Carrier Ethernet
- Transformation of the delivery of business services from legacy TDM, SONET, and STM
- In 2012, Bandwidth of Ethernet services exceeded all other legacy technologies, worldwide
- Uninterrupted double digit service revenue growth since its inception (on track to exceed $100bn in 2017)
- Enables key applications from Cloud Services to Mobile Backhaul over all technologies using traditional or SDN approaches
What is Carrier Ethernet?
Bob Metcalfe, Inventor of Ethernet narrates the fascinating story of the Evolution of Ethernet to a Carrier Class Technology
"The approval of key MEF specifications and implementation agreements in 2012 marked the tipping point that a new generation of services and networks could be confidently deployed as a new industry standard. CE 2.0 provides a new dimension for industry growth and prosperity.” - Nan Chen, MEF President.